Greek Mousaka (8-10 servings)
- 4 large eggplants
- 800 gr of veal minced meat finely chopped
- 1 small onion thinly chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- 300 gr grated cheese
- 50 ml of olive oil
- 500 ml sun oil oil for frying
For the topping ‘Besamel’
- 60 gr butter
- 80 gr flour
- 1 litre fresh milk
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons grated cheese
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Cut the eggplants into slices and put them in salted water for 1 hour approximately. Remove eggplants from water and squeeze them so they drain the excess water.
- Heat olive oil in a deep frying pan with heavy bottom and fry the eggplants until soften without getting brown. Arrange them on a kitchen towel paper to absorb the excess olive oil.
- In a clean frying pan heat olive oil and sizzle the onion & garlic until it golden browns without getting burned. Add minced meat, stir constantly, add all spices, Cook 4 – 5 minutes until all fluids are absorbed.
- Arrange eggplant slices on a medium size baking dish, sprinkle minced meat and continue with another layer of eggplants.
- Prepare béchamel sauce as follows: In a small saucepan melt butter, remove from the heat and add flour, stirring constantly with a wooden ladle till the mixture thickens. Add hot milk and place the saucepan in moderate heat, , stirring constantly till it becomes a thick and homogeneous sauce. Add the beaten egg yolks ,Sprinkle cheese and add a touch of salt and nutmeg and spoon the sauce over all.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes in a preheated 180 degrees oven until the sauce golden browns. Served warm.